Tuesday 4 January 2011

RIP Gerry Rafferty

article about the death of Gerry Rafferty (includes link to obituary)

For me the music of Gerry Rafferty will forever be inextricably linked to my teenage years. I'll always remember the pure joy I experienced listening to 'Baker Street' on my AM radio in the late 70s and early 80s.


























And from my early years at university, I remember very well my friend Tim's City to City album, which if I'm not mistaken he 'borrowed' from his dad. That's still one of my favorite albums and one of few I own that doesn't have any throwaway songs on it. And the cover art--gotta love it.

One of my favorite songs from that album:


























And a great song from his following album, Night Owl:






Here's part one of a three-part interview that was on Radio Scotland in 2003:





Part II and Part III

And I almost forgot--almost 2 hours of Gerry Rafferty on the Internet Archive--from the radio show 'Crap from the Past'. Right here.

2 comments:

Tim Huggins said...

I remember "City to City" getting heavy rotation when we were at KU. And yes, you are correct: I "borrowed" that album from my dad! :)

Tim Huggins said...

I remember City to City got a lot of spins when we were at KU. And yes, that was my dad's copy of the album that I "borrowed" :)