Wednesday 7 May 2008

Somebody's Dream Car

I was wondering about what to write about. Maybe means I shouldn't bother writing, but darn it, I wouldn't want to let the two or three people who read my blog on a regular basis down.


Yesterday I found this article on Delfi.lt: http://www.delfi.lt/news/daily/crime/article.php?id=16921302. I won't bother translating anything but the first paragraph, which contains the main idea, anyway.


Lithuania Number One in EU in Terms of Death of Children on Roads

Statistics show that it is not safe for children to go to school and back. Last year there were 1453 traffic accidents in which children were injured. Seventy of those children died. In the first three months of this year, there were 218 traffic accidents in which children were injured. Most of the people responible for these accidents were either driving carelessly or drunk.

Another number one for Lithuania--as if total number of deaths on the road and suicide weren't enough. Ah, what is it about this place? I drove up to the northeast of the country this past weekend; still surprised at the number of people speeding, expecially with the TV and radio flooded with ads about the dangers of speeding. I was driving the speed limit and was passed by dozens of cars on my way there and back.

But I think I've made my point about that already. Maybe the best thing I can do now is continue with my "Hall of Shame" for Lithuanian drivers. I heard or read a few days ago that the police were going to start printing lists of people who had been caught driving while intoxicated--and possibly those caught for other serious traffic offenses(?). But what about those who don't get caught? That can be my contribution.

While reading the article I mentioned above, I saw an ad for this car.

A beaut, eh? The ad can be found here. Not so sure about the 61,000 euro(!) price tag or the hot pink upholstery, though.

No comments: